The virtue of consistency was manifested at the GUBA Awards 2017 which took place on Saturday the 3rd of June 2017, at the Intercontinental Hotel, o2, London. The biennial award in its sixth year, paid tribute to an array of trailblazers from various industries
The night commenced with an ode to Ghana by the Shekinah singers as they sang the Ghana national anthem. Dynamic hosts Anita Erskine and Eddie Kadi welcomed the audience whilst acknowledging the theme of the night; ‘Celebrating Excellence’.
Ghanaian performer Wiyaala gave an energetic performance singing ‘Africa’ and ‘Rock my body’, thoroughly entertaining the audience and getting them on their feet.
An endorsement video from His Excellency – Nana Akufo-Addo, the President of the Republic of Ghana, was played to the audience.
I have been a keen follower of the activities of GUBA and I must say they have done a brilliant job especially in helping to consolidate the economic, social and tourism link between the UK and Ghana. We should all stand ready to support GUBA. The cooperation between public and private sector players will only help to steer on Ghana’s development as we seek to create wealth, prosperity and jobs for our people – he added
Other videos tribute from veteran broadcaster John Snow and Former First Lady Cherie Blair were also aired. A surprise Outstanding Achievement Award was given to Chris Hughton, manager of newly promoted Brighton & Hove Albion FC.
The night was well attended by several dignitaries, directors and media personalities including: Minister for Tourism, Arts & Culture (Ghana) – Hon. Catherine Afeku, Francis Asenso-Boakye – Deputy Chief of Staff to the President and Political Assistant (Ghana), MP Dianne Abbott, Eugene Akwasi – Ayisi – Labour Party Cabinet Member Communities Haringey, GUBA Patron and Actor- Hugh Quarshie , Rahul Gopinath – Regional Director for Africa- ECOM Agroindustrial Corp, Iain Walker – New British High Commissioner to Ghana and X-factor finalists Reggie N Bollie to name a few.
Speaking on the journey of the GUBA Awards and the celebration of Ghana at 60, Mrs Dentaa Amoateng MBE (CEO) stated:
My theme to mark this milestone is the strategic virtue of consistency and to have the drive to maintain consistency, you need a vision. Here at GUBA, the tireless work of our dynamic volunteers as well as the energy and passion of my team motivates us to be consistent and to strive to succeed. Over the next two years GUBA will be focusing on ways to promote Diaspora relationships.
Lastly, a prestigious award was presented to Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom for his Excellence in Business by Warner Rootliep, Air France KLM General Manager UK & Ireland. The night ended with a medley from the Davidson band and was followed by a post event networking at the Sky Bar in the Intercontinental Hotel. Seven awards voted for by the public and thirteen Black Star Awards were given out in total.
The GUBA Awards 2017 winners are:
- Ghanaian Alumni Award – Holy Child Past Students Association (HOPSA)
- Charity of the Year Award – Action Through Enterprise (ATE)
- Professional of the Year Award – Joshua Siaw
- Made in Ghana Award – Peini Skincare
- Efie Ne Fie Award – Vanetta & Vemilleon Ackah – Kiddie Garden Nursery International
- Business Start-up of the Year – Purete Nature
- Animator of the Year – Francis Y Brown
GUBA Black Star Awardees
- Maidie Arkutu – Female Influential Leader Apostle
- Kwadwo Safo – Innovative Pioneer
- Anas Aremeyaw Anas – Exceptional Journalist
- Michael K. Obeng – Humanitarian Spirit
- Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom – Excellence in Business, Ghana
- Mr & Mrs Mensah (Uncle John’s Bakery) – Enterprising Business Award
- Kwaku Oteng – Outstanding Industrialist
- Dr Kofi Amoa-Abban – Young Oil & Gas Entrepreneur
- Kelvin Doe – Young African Innovator
- Dr Nii Dzani – Influential Economist
- Dr Jason Sarfo-Annin – Student Achiever of the Year
- Mrs Ivy Manly-Spain – Female Excellence in Oil and Gas Award
- Chris Hughton – Outstanding Achievement Award
Category Sponsors: uniBank Ghana, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Imperial Homes, Kingsby London, ABN TV and Radio. CEO Dinner Sponsor: PayAngel.
Media Partners: ROK TV, VOX Africa TV, Starr Radio UK, Hot Digital Online FM, Rising Africa, Afropulp Magazine, The Voice Newspaper, Glam Africa, ABN TV and Radio, GHOne TV, Starr FM, OK FM, Peace FM, Adom TV, UTV, Hot Digital Online FM, Ahomka FM, FAB Photography, AKLASS photography, SWAG of Africa, Screen Nation, Inspirational You, Premier Productions, 7 Media Photography and Ernest Simons Photography.
Partners: Final Effects Studios, NAS Studios, Anita Erskine Media, Precise Marketing, E-Volution International, Plant It Events, Groupe Nduom, MakeUp Ghana, Uncle John’s Bakery, Snaptcha and Full of Goodness. Material Sponsors: Vlisco, Kente Queen. Outfit/Accessories sponsors: A-COTE Collections, Jay Renkyi, Emma Bird Accessories and Gaknobi Collections. Travel Sponsor: Faze 2 Services